5.20.2008

Nature girl

Turns out I didn't need to worry about checking all my house plants and yard plants for toxicity to pets.  Gemma has a better nose than I do.  She is batting 100 and is totally reliable as far as I can tell.  She eats the tender shoots and buds of wild roses, dandelions, fiddle head ferns, horse tails, birch, spruce -- all of which are safe and healthy for people to eat too.  Every dangerous wild plant we have run across is well sniffed, then ignored.  Ditto the house plants.  I panicked when she wolfed down a dropped leaf from the jade plant before I could grab it from her mouth, but turns out she was correct, not toxic to pets according to most internet sources and the fact that I still have a healthy dog! 
Unfortunately, rabbit pellets and moose nuggets also have a high plant content and are highly desirable to her, too.  Yuck!

No comments:

Post a Comment